Tuesday 5 November 2013

12 Hours in Kuwait

It's the third time this year that I've been in Kuwait.

Mull that over for a bit.

Actually, I should have been born in Kuwait - that's where my parents lived when I was born. I used to be really annoyed - my wee brother was born in Paris, so of course, in keeping with the Parisians, he thinks he's better than me because I was born in boring old Edinburgh. In hindsight, I am glad that I was born in the UK, cos I can pass on my nationality, whereas The Boy cannot.

Still. Kuwait would have sounded cooler.

Laru, circa 1989

So my 'rentals left just before the Gulf War (number one, since you ask) when they could hear the war from the city, and I had just learned to walk. Not before they "accidentally" tried to drown me in a swimming pool - apparently, I capsized my baby lifeboat.

Second time in Kuwait since I lived there - Yacht Show - stayed in the Missoni Hotel. Third time since I lived there - The Regency - a hotel that complies with Sharia law. Fourth time since the eighties - 12 hours to attend the opening of a Chopard store.

I flew in an airplane, landed, hung out in The Avenues - the longest mall I've ever been in (over 1km) for 9 hours - then flew back.

I interviewed Caroline Schefeule - the co-president of Chopard - for the Watches & Jewellery edition of SLT which is next year and then moseyed around until the shop had it's official opening. Here are some of the highlights.

My outfit - unintentionally Zara head to toe

COS - my fave shop. Come to Doha, please?

Prestige Mall. Very ostentatious!

The red carpet

The beautiful 2 storey Chopard store
Until next time, habibis and habitis!

No comments:

Post a Comment